As soon as I saw France's art journal project over on the PA blog earlier this week, I was hooked. France used a mini-canvas for hers. I didn't have anything small enough so I took apart a 21 x 14 cm canvas, sawed some new mitred corners, reduced it down 14 x 13 cm, re-attached the canvas through the new frame as opposed to across it and carried on from there. I also took it as an opportunity to use up my stash of odd papers to give different surfaces to work on.
Like France's project, I attached the doors to the front of the frame (made from mount board). I used up some spare pieces of canvas for the hinges. The surface of the frame and the outer covers of the journal have all been crackled and heavily distressed to make it look as scruffy as possible. The little star and ribbon were actually off a bought birthday card for another member of the family that was about to go in the rubbish bin.
It's a long time since I've done a coptic stitch binding but it's not complicated once you look at a YouTube video. (What would be do without YouTube!). The whole thing is actually about 5 cm deep with it's frame attached and a lovely chunky size to draw in. Thanks France for a fab project!