I have finally finished my first quilt. It probably wasn't the easiest project to choose as a starter but it was a fabulous learning curve and even though there are some cock ups in it, you can't seem them unless you look closely because it is so busy. It's made up of many different blocks, some of which you can see in this post, which are joined together by strips
I had so many strips left that I also decided to make the border although not many of the versions I've seen on the internet seem to have this. I also joined all my left over strips for the binding. It was almost impossible to choose a colour for the binding and I think the multicoloured strips worked really well
And here's the finished quilt....
There's a very popular basket pattern going round the quilting internet at the moment called the one hour basket. It's available to download as a pdf file if you google it. Admittedly it took me longer than an hour (!) but it's probably my most neat an accurate piece of stitching yet.
I decided to straight line quilt the fabric.
and added a border to the top
and a matching lining...
I'm already planning another - it's a perfect size for nappies and would make a lovely gift for a new mum.