Saturday 8 February 2014

Cushion cover

I've just finished my second quilting project.  I've so enjoyed doing this.  The 2 hour class goes in 5 minutes! I'm learning lots including the new terminology like "stitching in the ditch" which means quilting in the seam line - often with invisible thread and is not easy to master (and I haven't mastered it yet!)


It didn't take long for me to realise that if I was going to quilt I would need to invest in one of these...


.... a walking foot.  And it is an investment but makes the difference between your project looking smooth or puckered.  It enables the layers of fabric to be fed through the machine at the same time.


Mitred corners


Learning how my machine does buttonholes


How to stitch evenly spaced rows  (nearly!)


These are the pin wheels that give the cover it's name


And the evenly spaced quilted stitching to highlight the pinwheels.


and finally, the finished product!

Next project a bag!!!

10 comments:

sam21ski said...

Blimey Carol, it's so so neat, well done!!

Can't wait to see what you tackle next!!

Sam xx

Linda Elbourn said...

Well done Carol, that looks great xxx

Heather said...

Well done Carol. I love the idea of patchwork and quilting but there is too much maths involved for me and I've never mastered mitred corners.

Karin said...

That is so neat Carol! It's also totally beyond me. Looks stunning. Well done.

Evil Edna said...

stunning and very fresh looking.EE

Netty said...

woo hoo am in.........it has to be the facebook connection that stops me from commenting.

Loving your fab cushion, great work Carol. Annette x

http://nettysartadventures.blogspot.co.uk/

Paula J Atkinson said...

Looks lovely, Carol. So neat & tidy. Look forward to seeing your next project.

Words and Pictures said...

Jeepers - I can't even thread a sewing machine without losing my temper (and usually breaking something) - this is amazing work... buttonholes - gasp!
Alison x

Cath Wilson said...

Cor blimey! Jacqui and I are looking into starting some quilting - this is beautiful!

hazel said...

This is fabulous Carol.
xxx Hazel.